Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Advice from Current Applicant about Financial Assistance

Following up on last week's post about financial assistance from the AAMC, here's some advice from a Harvard student currently applying to medical school:

I didn't think that I would be eligible for FAP because my family hasn't generally been eligible for fee assistance programs like this in the past---but they actually have rather generous criteria, and I discovered that I would have been eligible only after submitting my AMCAS. I'm getting lots of fee waivers for my secondary apps (which is awesome and very helpful) but I missed getting the waiver for MCAT registration and for AMCAS.

As this example points out, FAP does not offer fee assistance retroactively. Especially with the MCAT, it's very easy to miss applying for FAP. But even if you do miss the MCAT, you are still eligible for assistance on AMCAS application fees provided that you qualify. For the AMCAS alone, this makes a big difference. For instance, if you applied to 13 schools, you would save $532. Also keep in mind that even if you don't qualify for FAP but are on significant financial aid at Harvard, you may still be able to receive fee waivers for your secondary applications.

Other health professional graduate schools often offer programs similar to FAP such as AADSAS's Fee Reduction Program (FRP) for the dental school application. Note: this is a partial refund program (post-application) rather than a waiver program (pre-application).

No comments: