Monday, March 12, 2012

Introducing Paula

Hi, I’m currently a senior in Quincy House, concentrating in the comparative study of religion with a secondary in chemistry and I plan to apply to medical school next year after graduation. Throughout my time at Harvard, I’ve had the opportunity to explore my interests in science and health in a variety of ways: I’ve co-directed the Health Advocacy Program, an organization that aims to teach Boston middle school children about healthy eating habits, I’ve worked in the HEB Nutrition lab my sophomore summer, I’ve shadowed at MGH, and I’ve worked with Unite For Sight in Chennai, India. While these experiences were undeniably enriching for a person who was seriously considering the field of medicine, there is still a certain level of disconnect I feel with the label of being a “pre-med.”

I’ve also spent much of my Harvard career traveling, being involved in interfaith initiatives, and exploring my passion in food. Spending my junior spring semester abroad in Jerusalem, Israel, was singlehandedly the best decision I had ever made at Harvard and was an experience that critically informed my thesis for the study of religion, all the while solidifying my desire to become a doctor.
I would love to talk about my experience as a non-science pre-med and as a student who has gone abroad. I am also currently working on my thesis (which is on Jews and sustainable eating), so if you are interested in any aspect of my experiences or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me!

No comments: